Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Display Case

I collected some lovely bits and pieces on my recent trip to Newfoundland. It was such a wonderful holiday, and beachcombing was an integral part of it. I was originally thinking of making jewellery from these bits, but I have a terrible habit of losing and breaking jewellery. And besides, one of the pieces was much too big to wear. So I decided to frame them!

I found a nice deep frame in Ikea, though it's designed to hold a picture at the front, so it required some modification. Here's a photo of the frame with the glass and mat board clipped down.




I used PVC glue to stick two layers of fabric down to the back board. I chose an aquamarine fabric to contrast with the rust of the largest beach find (see below). The cream was necessary to stop the wood effect of the back from showing through.

Once that dried I trimmed the edges.



Then came the turn of the glue-gun. It might have been wiser to practice more, but I totally got away with it. The glue gun stuck each part fast to the surface below it.

Next, I needed some spacers to hold the back at a distance from the mat and glass. I have been saving almost all of the cardboard that's come into the house for several months now, so I was able to just cut some pieces of nice thick cardboard for the purpose.


I was very haphazard about cutting out the pieces, but they worked out fine. They're also glued on with the glue gun. Possibly overkill, but I had it right there ready to use.


A little black poster paint, in case the viewer should get an angle where the spacers become visible.


For some reason, I've only ever seen masking tape hold backs on pictures. I don't know why that is, but I didn't see any reason to break with tradition. It's not terribly neat, because the only masking tape I have available is a very wide roll, but then again, it is the back.



Et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment