Saturday, 8 December 2012

Finished Appa

The final homework is due this week for my Coursera course: a beta prototype of my chosen artifact. Well, with recovering from the various microbes that have been interfering with my bodily processes, and my husband being away for a week, I thought it prudent to not attempt another Appa from scratch. After seriously considering just not submitting, I decided to put some finishing touches to my alpha prototype.

I'm not very happy with how the face turned out. I closed it under his chin, which was a terrible idea. Next time I'll close the end of the tail. I'd like to produce a pattern eventually. If you think you'd like such a thing, leave a comment or drop me a mail at craft(at)timui(dot)org and I'll bump it up my todo list :)

And finally the pictures:

The markings on his back are drawn on with fabric pen. Not the most elegant of solutions, but it was something I could do while watching Jonathan Creek.



See how the nose is too long? Not too bad for a first draft though. Now that I look at it, I'm really happy with the placement of the eyes. Visible from the front, but not *on* the front, which would be creepy.


Guaranteed huggable!


Sunday, 2 December 2012

Alpha prototype Appa

This has been a slow week, largely due to the Norovirus (curse you!). I did get enough work done on my alpha prototype to have something to submit though:




I have a feeling that my Beta prototype may not happen next week, what with looking after the kids on my own all week, and still having a nasty cold. (Yes, I had a nasty cold *at the same time* as the Norovirus. Pity me!). But we live in hope :)

I have to say, I don't think my Appa has photographed very well. I'm not super proud of it, but it looks better in person.